Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have an old mechanic friend . Who surprised me today .
He looked me up.& ask me which trans I'd recommend .
... SO I GUESS I'm really asking for a friend .
He works for the county & he can fix anything .
But he said he was at a loose on which one he wants .
He has about a 1992 dodge D350 2wheel drive & his has the 5 speed getrag.
But he wants a slower 1st gear & he would like a 5 or 6 speed.
... So what does he need .
If he changes out to the dodge 6 speed what all will he need.
... Thanks .i'll try & check back tomorrow night for answers .

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
What kind of driving does he do? What kind of loads does he haul? What part of the country- mountains, plains? What kind of money does he have access to.

Some of these questions will help with ideas.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well His part of Texas is Basically flat . . Maybe 200 & 300 ft hills. at 1200 sea level +... but nothing over 1650ftasl.
But he drives about 45 mile each day to work... & Home . So he's wanting a trans to help him drive faster.75mph.
& He's like all of use he lives on his old family farm & at time pulls a trailer load of 15 cows to the auction.
Or moving a tractor . Knowing ED. He might go pick up a D5 DOZER & TAKE IT HOME TO WORK ON .
He's an old mechanic that can fix anything. .
.... Not long ago I called on him & He had a John Deere Grader torn in half.
The trans center structure was out of it .
We'd found him some part Located in the very center of it.
....One Time in & out & it was fixed . If you talk to him You'd swear he can't even read .
But he can put the dozer back together .
............... Money .. Well maybe 2000.00+ But probably wanting it to be a 1000.00...& He can handle all the labor .

·
Registered
448 Posts
so I have an old mechanic friend . Who surprised me today .
He looked me up.& ask me which trans I'd recommend .
... SO I GUESS I'm really asking for a friend .
He works for the county & he can fix anything .
But he said he was at a loose on which one he wants .
He has about a 1992 dodge D350 2wheel drive & his has the 5 speed getrag.
But he wants a slower 1st gear & he would like a 5 or 6 speed.
... So what does he need .
If he changes out to the dodge 6 speed what all will he need.
... Thanks .i'll try & check back tomorrow night for answers .
Has he thought about a lower ratio differential gear set...and, keeping the Getrag...to get his lower first gear?

The wide-ratio ZF5 has a real low first gear...but, it seems, the majority of folks don't like its shift points when bolted to a diesel.

Roy

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If your friend is planning on keeping the engine mostly stock then he only has 160 HP and 400 lb ft torque to work with. A D5 weighs around 38,000 lbs. Don't think he's going to tow that with a D350 Dodge. 15 cows aren't exactly a feather at around 18,000 lbs but nothing like that dozer. Are you talking towing those kinds of loads at 75 MPH? He better be looking at a semi truck. Transmission on a 5.9 Cummins that are pretty bullet proof are the Eaton FSO 6406A. FSO 8406A, or FSBO 9406A. Those would mount with an SAE2 adapter and flywheel which is common for the Cummins. Max towing capacity for the '92 D350 was around 10.200 lbs. Rear axle is only a Dana 70. To tow those extreme load he'd better think about a Dana S135 and a very strong drive shaft.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... Well remember he's been at this job for 50 years. & He is the mechanic for the county equipment.
Not he'd like to drive 75 to get to work . Hell as big a red neck as he is he might drag some item 40 mph & next at 20..
My D5 COMMENT was just saying he'll use it just like he has for the past 20 years with the 5 speed he's worn out.
& I think he said he doesn't like the speed of it's 1st gear.

·
Registered
47 Posts
... Well remember he's been at this job for 50 years. & He is the mechanic for the county equipment.
Not he'd like to drive 75 to get to work . Hell as big a red neck as he is he might drag some item 40 mph & next at 20..
My D5 COMMENT was just saying he'll use it just like he has for the past 20 years with the 5 speed he's worn out.
& I think he said he doesn't like the speed of it's 1st gear.
Sounds like he wants reduction, which i can supply . Direct and 2-1 under reduction gear box, remote mount, as used with Hydramatic GMCs in the '50s. Or he could add a transfer case box to his Getrag and utilize 2-1 under..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts