Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting my '89 4BD1T back together. My plan is to run it in the Isuzu NPR truck for a while to get some experience with it before pulling it to swap into an FJ62 Landcruiser. I have three turbos that I can install: 1) the original setup which is a non-wastegated, watercooled housing turbo in a non intercooled configuration 2) An older turbo, also from a 4BD1T but has a wastegate but no watercooled housing, also in a non-intercooled configuration, 3) a turbo from a 4BD2T which appears to be exactly the same as 1) except that the turbo outlet is rotated to line up with the intercooler plumbing. I also have the intercooler.

I'm leaning towards 3) but was wondering if there would be any real advantage to using the older turbo with the wastegate. With a little work (breaking loose the rust), it also could be reconfigured to line up with the intercooler plumbing.

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a good idea! Since I won't have access to a dyno, what would you suggest be a good way to compare the two, other than gut feel?

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a boost gauge, plan to get an EGT gauge and will try to rig up a tach. I also will measure air temp, pre and post turbo. No hills in the immediate area and, since the truck is not licensed or insured, I'm limited to driving it on a 1/4 mile of private road adjacent to the shop. It wil be interesting running time trials on the 1/4 mile with an NPR truck! :) :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts