Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any info on the White diesel? The current dovebid sale has a lot of them. I couldn't find much on the net.
All I know is 4cyl, 3.7L turbo diesel.
I also noticed that a good many of them are in not running condition :eek:
Are they not as reliable as the mighty cummins?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I believe that is the hercules engine. I bought one out of shear desperation for fuel econamy. I see them used on gensets all the time. I hate them for one thing only. They are impossible to keep from having oil leaks. I pride myself for being able to win against great odds but these engines have got the best of me. The three peice oil pan gasket is the hardest one to get to seal. I use only "The Right Stuff" by permatex. That suff is great but still have the leaks. Now that Ive got that out, the reason for getting the engine was because a freind has one in a S10 with 289 rear that at 70 mph gets 48 mpg!!! His big gears make for a sacrifice on local runs at only 30 mpg. The road gear tops out high. He said he stopped at 100 plus and still not in the governer. The reason for the high gears is because the bottom end of those engine dont like high rpm. They been know to come apart if run against the governor alot. My plans are to put it in a late model astro van AWD! Ive been know to try any thing once. And mayby I'll have a good story to tell.

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Tell us more about the conversion, transmission, adapters required, etc.
Are the parts hard to get or expensive compared to the Cummins stuff?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and please post pictures

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I hear they bolt right into old Dodge M37s.. The White and Hercules are the same. I hear getting parts for them is a bitch though...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have two of these Hercules 3.7 turbo diesels. Take-outs from '83 Ford stepvans, they have T19s behind them with SBF bell pattern.

They do not bolt into Dodge M37 without the Hercules made adapter and even then, word is that difficulties were involved in using the adapter.

One curious bit I note is that some have the injectors with the return off the side with the main in the top, like in the pics posted by cumminsman, others have the return off the top with the main into the side, like mine.

The IC Hercs are 125 HP/268 lb.ft. The non-IC are 108 HP/231 lb.ft.

I still don't know what I'm doing with mine.

Ken

·
Registered
82 Posts
These are the guys to talk to about these engines if they are (and they should be) Hercules DT 3.7 motors. They are fairly good engines but probably not as good as the 4BT.

CD

·
Registered
397 Posts
These are the guys to talk to about these engines if they are (and they should be) Hercules DT 3.7 motors. They are fairly good engines but probably not as good as the 4BT.
The two I have are Herc 3.7 without a doubt. So is the one in cumminsman's pics.

Yes, Paul Caudell(sp?) at MARS is knowledgeable concerning these engines and years ago was looking for cores.

I'd say not as good as the 4BT without a doubt. The only advantage in favor of the Herc that comes to my mind is weight(they are lighter). But they are out there and anything that a 4BT would do well in, they should too.

Ken

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey i just joined this site because i have a 1982 grumman olson step van that has the 3.7l Hercules in it and it runs great and gets over 20mpg in the van. Im selling it and dont know much about it. and want to know more about it.

thanks
Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all - I just joined after browsing many forums for details on the Hercules engine mentioned above - well, I am getting one for my project, much silimar to one mentioned above which I'll get into next. I am revising THIS thread b/c it's the ONLY one I have found where someone else has installed a Herc. 3.7 into a S10/S15 truck.

My project vehicle: 1996 GMC Sonoma SLS; 2.2L 5 Speed 2WD 228,xxx miles
My future engine UPGRADE: DT 3.7L Hercules Turbo Diesel

Needed parts - NV3500 trans, V6 Coil Springs

I am seeking more details on the what to look out for, and what else I am going to need to upgrade while fitting the engine and trans. What motor mount(s) do I need to source, or should I just fabbed them. Cooling system good as OEM?

I plan to begin this project sometime this summer and hope to have it back on the road by winter. (As this is my main WINTER vehicle.)

to "cumminsman" - can you get picutures or more details on your friends truck with this setup? I am very interested in them THANKS!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hello Burnsside42,

Do you know which series the engine is, 1 or 2? If not, I can help you identify which you have. There are significant idfferences in the two and the power levels they can reliably make. "Kinda" like the difference between a 4BT and a 4B, though both series 1 and 2 White-Hercs are turbo'd.

Sounds like your project should return very good mpg with good power for that size vehicle.

Ken
(I have two series 1 DT3.7 White-Hercs as mentioned a few years ago earlier in this thread.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seeking more info on the hercules/white d2300 adapter....

I have two of these Hercules 3.7 turbo diesels. Take-outs from '83 Ford stepvans, they have T19s behind them with SBF bell pattern. Ken
KEN: Sounds like you are light years ahead of most on thiese D2300's that was retrofit into so many bread vans. Mine is an 82 Grumman Kabmaster and I love it...except the T-19 is not a very good diesel tranny. I am kinda certain the hercules supplied adapter plate will fit other trannies, have you determined if a ZF-5 will fit? The engine itself seems tobe an SAE #3 pattern, any ideas if any non-ford 5 speeds will fit? Also, do you know if the conversion clutch parts are OEM ford or something Hercules supplied? Thanks for ANY info. Jerry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts