Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just got a Dana 60 for free with only 1500 miles on it. It came out of a 1977 f 250. Does any one know how to shortten the axlw with out worping it or do you guys know of anyone that can do it in Virginia or Maryland? I need it to fit under a 1970 Ford Bronco.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If it's a front it's easy. Plan on custom shafts though if you cut it a lot. I cut the axle itself with a cordless sawzall then you need to grind out the remaining tube from the inner Cs. After that you pound the Cs back onto the tube where you want them and weld it up. Easy as pie.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Rear D60's are very cheap. Find one that is already the width you need. It will be A LOT cheaper than shortening both tubes and getting custom shafts.

Edit: If you are talking about a front D60, have a look here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/index.html

I would find an axleshaft narrow enough to give you the width you want, and then narrow the axletube by the same amount, so that a custom shaft is not needed.

How much narrowing does the axle need? Perhaps you can change the backspacing in the rims...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The WMS should be pretty close to an EB, just run offset rims like hummer H2 rims to narrow it. That way you keep steering geometry and axles all stock. Also easy to find parts for it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Ford used the semi float dana 60 rear from 56 to 72 under F-100's. They're cheap, 5 lug, most of them have powerlocks and they're only a couple inches wider than stock EB stuff.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The WMS should be pretty close to an EB, just run offset rims like hummer H2rims to narrow it. That way you keep steering geometry and axles all stock. also easy to find parts for it.
its a dana 60 rear ff. i just bought some hummer h2 wheels. how much off set do they have.

·
Registered
500 Posts
They should fit the older non-metric style axle. Everything that was 8-lug from the 50's & up had the same bolt pattern & hub size - Although I've seen some trailer axles with 8 lugs with a larger hub that required special trailer wheels.

·
Registered
713 Posts
They should fit the older non-metric style axle. Everything that was 8-lug from the 50's & up had the same bolt pattern & hub size - Although I've seen some trailer axles with 8 lugs with a larger hub that required special trailer wheels.
I know from experience I needed to grind about 1/8" larger diameter on my rear hubs ('89 10.25") to run the H1 wheels. The front was fine (I use 70s hubs). I like the H1 wheels a lot they make a full size rear end look normal under a ranger. Running them in the front requires histeer arms. You're talking about H2 wheels which are around 2" less backspacing that H1 wheels though and those will fit stockers.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How difficult would it be to shortten the Rear DANA 60? I have a welder mig and tig but i wam worring about worping it. How do i prevent that or how do i go about getting it straighted? Would it just be better i have a shop do it or its it something i can do at my house? THis is just incase i have to but it would be great it the h2 wheels work perfect.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
How difficult would it be to shortten the Rear DANA 60? I have a welder mig and tig but i wam worring about worping it. How do i prevent that or how do i go about getting it straighted? Would it just be better i have a shop do it or its it something i can do at my house? THis is just incase i have to but it would be great it the h2 wheels work perfect.
Cruise your local junkyards and find a Dana 60 that's close to the proper width. It will save you a lot of grief.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cruise your local junkyards and find a Dana 60 that's close to the proper width. It will save you a lot of grief.
I already have the Dana 60. I got it for free so i intend on using that one plus the junkyards around here are nuts when it comes to price.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Like MT said, you're not going to warp the housing. Narrowing an axle is common sense, careful measuring and double checking everything.

Ford has made more narrow full floating 60's than they have wide ones like your late axle. ALL '72 and older single wheel trucks use the narrow track width in the rear.

For the work it takes to do it yourself or the expense of paying a shop to it and buying custom axles go buy the most expensive early dana 60 rear you can find at a yard and you will be ahead.

·
Registered
500 Posts
its a dana 60 rear ff. i just bought some hummer h2 wheels. how much off set do they have.
I know from experience I needed to grind about 1/8" larger diameter on my rear hubs ('89 10.25") to run the H1 wheels. The front was fine (I use 70s hubs). I like the H1 wheels a lot they make a full size rear end look normal under a ranger. Running them in the front requires histeer arms. You're talking about H2 wheels which are around 2" less backspacing that H1 wheels though and those will fit stockers.

Apples & Oranges bro just like you said - H1 & H2 wheels are two different monsters :p But just like he said, he had bought H2 wheels

1 - 16 of 16 Posts