Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Who Fabricated & Balanced Your Custom Driveshaft?

8K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Grigg 
#1 ·
With the exception of a few short discussions in the Build ups section we have have had very few discussions on fabricating a custom drive shaft.

Where are you located?
Who fabricated and balanced your drive shaft?
Do they have a website with contact information and do shipping or are they strictly a local walk into shop?

#2 ·
I have had around 15 custom driveshafts made by a local shop called Fort Worth Gear and Axle here in fort worth, Tx. They are probably the best around this area and everyone around here I have talked to will tell you to go there. I have always had excellent luck and service with these guys, fast turnaround time also usually same day if not next day. They do have a website and I am sure they would be willing to ship. I have ran 2 of their shafts in my 67 F100 both perfect and even the one in my 66 mustang is from them and it has seen 8500rpm (engine) before with no vibration.

#3 ·
HEre in AZ Phoenix Rack and Axle is often used by the local guys. Nationwide, there are 2 popular shops with the 4 wheeling crowd: High Angle Driveline and Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft. Both of these shops specialize in driveshafts for 4WD use, which means 1350+ sized u-joints, available long slip, and CV assemblies capable of over 30 degrees of continuous operating angle. Both shops have excellent reputations.

#4 ·
drive shaft work

I have used Carolina Driveline in Spartenberg,SC for one of my trucks.I went from a NV241 t/case to a NV271,and had my drive shaft shortened,flanged,and balanced.It was a really good job,and I have no balance issues.This is one of the trucks I use to pull a trailer,so it gets hwy speeds. 866-shaft 4 u .They have a website,and do ship.......I will use them when I finish my 4bt swap.!!!

#8 ·
I've done the same with shortening/lengthening myself. Made sure it was in phase and lined up on a flat surface. A pipe cutter makes a nice straight cut for shorthening and angle iron makes for a decent jig. For lengthening I simply cut off the yokes and upgraded with a slightly thicker walled piece from Six States Distributers cut to my desired length. I DD my rig and don't notice any vibs coming from the shafts.

#9 ·
I work at the Hobby Shop on MCAS Cherry Point and I've seen a few trucks with driveshafts from Fort Worth Gear and Axle!

I used Carolina Driveline myself when I needed a rear shaft for my Cummins to M1008 (K30) swap. It was 60" long, 3" chro-moly, 1/8" wall DOM tubing with 1410 series yokes and a 6" slip yoke. Built from scratch and shipped to my door for 254 bucks! Took them 4 business days, but that was only because I ordered it late one Friday afternoon.

http://carolinadriveline.com/

Website doesn't have much to it, but after about 5 minutes on the phone with the OWNER of the company (who answered the phone!), I was extremely impressed and my driveshaft was setup and ready to be built. He also guaranteed that I wouldn't break it :dustin: Said it was the same stuff he runs in his drag car.

#10 ·
In Virginia I've used GL Dunn's in Winchester. Great people out there with very reasonable prices and very good quality work.

#11 ·
For the driveshafts in my truck I picked the components (tube yokes, tube, spline yoke, slip yoke, and so on) I wanted from the Spicer driveshaft catalogs found here
Then ordered the pieces through Randal at Central truck and Trailer (301) 797-1995 in Hagerstown, MD
Provided him with a sketch showing lengths, and he dropped all the parts off at a professional driveshaft shop in Hagerstown MD.
For about $80 each they assembled and balanced the shafts.
I picked up the complete shafts and paid the bill at central truck and Trailer

Used 4.5" tube and 1610 series joints.

For info on how to size, design, and install driveshafts check out this Tech Tip it has links to the Spicer manuals.

Grigg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.