Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I've been researching the proper M/C for a 4B w/ a Ford 4 speed. The combo I bought (truck not included) is a 858 CPL with Ford adapter, B/H, flywheel and clutch. Slave was still attached (so I have the P/N for that), but I don't have the P/N for the master cylinder.
Looks like the slave is always 7/8", but the M/C can be anything from 7/8", 1", 1-1/8" depending on application. If I can get the ACTUAL P/N from a chassis I can determine the correct M/C bore size and then cross reference it to some aftermarket (circle track) suppliers. I'd go all OEM but the M/C and slave are all plastic and the OEM hyd. line is pre-bent with funky quick release fittings. I'd rather use braided S.S. line w/ proper thread type fittings. Pardon the length....Doug

·
Registered
713 Posts
Personally I use a stock ford SC from an f250 with a 351w for example.

with a superduty MC which is a 7/8 bore I'm pretty sure. I even used the stock ranger line and everything.

My ranger MC was 5/8" and wouldn't disengage the clutch.

The clutch and everything for a ford adapter is the generic ford smallblock setup.

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
The last two T-19's that I had came in Chevrolet chassis and both had Chevy mechanical clutch linkage to the Ford bellhousing. Your setup is probably from a 90's or newer van. Most of them are probably still in service. There is a possibility for you to reverse engineer what you need. Most of the slave cylinders have a Bendix number cast into the body. Do a part number search of the Bendix number at www.RockAuto.com or see if your local NAPA store can find what it is normally used in. Then buy the mating master cylinder. You should also check your local wrecking yards for the appropriate vehicles in which it was used and measure the "stroke" required for the master cylinder.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MookTank, how do you like the pedal force associated with your set-up? I see you also used the factory line, any difficulties with routing it? The ones I've seen (little ranger trucks. I assume you have a F-series ranger?) are pre-bent and thought that might present a problem on a custom application like these 4B swaps?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob S: Been doing the reverse engineering thing, my drivetrain is circa 1984, which brought me to the three different M/C bores. Conflicting application data on different part retailer websites. There are different M/C's for F-150/250 vs. F-350's vs. a reference to "wonderbread" chassis. I would assume the "wonderbread" ref is my app.? but can't get the bore sizes for that one. Stock is easier to get, but line is a Ford part sold as an assembly (M/C, slave, OEM line) it's all plastic. If the line gets broken, I have to get the whole package rather than just the one part. That's the reason for circle track parts that are metal and individually repairable. I want to ensure the M/C bore to Slave bore ratio is correct so I don't over/ under actuate the clutch. Phew!!! Sorry I'm so long winded. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
713 Posts
MookTank, how do you like the pedal force associated with your set-up? I see you also used the factory line, any difficulties with routing it? The ones I've seen (little ranger trucks. I assume you have a F-series ranger?) are pre-bent and thought that might present a problem on a custom application like these 4B swaps?
Mine's a 93 so it's the little baby ranger. The line went in fine no problems.

The pedal force isn't too bad but it's higher than a fullsize since the lever is shorter.

A fullsize clutch pedal lever would run it very nicely I assume. I'm happy with mine though. Even in traffic it's not too bad especially not having to really give it any throttle to creep along.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Mook, no insult intended with the "Little Ranger" description. When your signature says "1 ton diesel ranger" I wrongly assumed you had a full size truck....then I checked out your website. That ranger must be a blast with the 4B installed! Thanks for the clutch info on real world results.
Doug

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I have a '88 GM van 10K gvw it has T-19 with hyd. clutch the M/C Pn is D22375

·
Registered
618 Posts
It is irrelevant what the bore of the MC on the van was, unless you are putting it in a vehicle with the same pedal ratio and stroke.

If the distance from pedal pivot to linkage is not the same, you will have to account for that in selecting the MC.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I realize this is an old thread....but I have a complete Ford Step Van with a 4BT for sale -- See the Classified Section.

AND

a Ford Step Van without a 4BT for parts --- transmission, starter, adapter plate, master cylinder, hydraulic clutch, wiper motors, seat, etc.; Some of this is listed in the Classified Seciton.

Shoot me a PM if anyone needs any Ford Step Van parts; I'm going Dodge, so won't need any of the extra parts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dahoyle...good call on leverage as a part of the MC/ slave equation....Still haven't given up on this project...there's been many changes in my life since I started this thread. I finally have a garage to start things moving...of course, 100* plus days here in AZ are just around the corner. Oh well I'll work when I can and be well preped for fall. P.S. Leaning toward the M5R2 xmsn with a ZF adapter to retain my dana 20 Xfer case

1 - 12 of 12 Posts