Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are tons of reasons to do this and believe me, I'm not against it what-so-ever. I'm just curious what you do with the vehicle that you did the conversion to? How does it do for what you planned?

Me? I'm thinking about a 4bt in my '84 Ramcharger. It will be a very multi-purpose vehicle, mainly focused at Off-road fun, but it will still be streeable.

I put a 6BT into an '89 RC last winter and it worked out great! Fun build.

It's a very capable vehicle. I ran Hell's Revenge in it in Sept '06 an now I'm hooked! Unfortunately, the RC was built to be my wife's daily driver and she loves it! So...I can't really do what I want to it.

I want to build the '84 RC for myself and I'm curious what you all do with yours? Off Roading? Towing hauling? Military restoration? Just to say you did? :D

Thanks!
Andrew

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well, it is not in yet but I'm putting mine in a 56 F-100.

Its purpose is just becuase. It will mainly be used to cruise in car show...pop open the hood and say yeah it really is a diesel....and ohhh yeah it does have 400HP and 750TQ and get 20+ MPG

That way on the way to the show I can roast some tires...and blow some black smoke in the ricers windshield.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Trooper

I have a non profit group that promotes sustainable energy (solar, WVO, water recycling). We needed to use a vehicle to tow behind our BioBus and it needed to run on veggie oil.

I picked up this 94 Trooper and new 4bt (well 41 hours). I am mostly going to use this for demonstrations and getting back country for camping breaks.

I have a 30 spline 700r4 four speed overdrive automatic mated to a np 208. I will put the NP 205 in when I get enough time. I put a 3" body lift in it because the doghouse was ridiculously small. Stopped due to snow right now. In Boulder, Colorado. Anyone wanting to see this is welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a seperate post but may have not asked the right question... Can you tell me how you would rate the 4bt as far as vibration compared to other diesels?? Tigman

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know there are tons of reasons to do this and believe me, I'm not against it what-so-ever. I'm just curious what you do with the vehicle that you did the conversion to? How does it do for what you planned?

Me? I'm thinking about a 4bt in my '84 Ramcharger. It will be a very multi-purpose vehicle, mainly focused at Off-road fun, but it will still be streeable.

I put a 6BT into an '89 RC last winter and it worked out great! Fun build.

It's a very capable vehicle. I ran Hell's Revenge in it in Sept '06 an now I'm hooked! Unfortunately, the RC was built to be my wife's daily driver and she loves it! So...I can't really do what I want to it.

I want to build the '84 RC for myself and I'm curious what you all do with yours? Off Roading? Towing hauling? Military restoration? Just to say you did? :D

Thanks!
Andrew
Hey man, nice to see another RC on here! As for me, I'm looking into swapping a 4BT into my '79 RC pictured below. Reasons? Well I want a diesel, but I don't want a super heavy diesel. Truck see's lots of mud. I also want to run homemade biodiesel, and I want good MPG. That and 400+ ft. lbs of torque and fuel injection never hurt offroading either... I'm wanting to swap in the 4BT, and a diesel A518 or 727 mated to an NP205.

Michael

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
I posted earlier but maybe I deleted somehow.. Anywhoo, driverswanted over on TDR has a early 80's 1/2 ton short bed with a 4BTA, Hy35 turbo, Bosch 190 injectors... Very nice setup.. Hopefully he'll make it over too...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool Guys! Thanks! I'm interested.

A-56: I've been reading a few of your "Yahoo - 4bt" e-mails and it sounds like it will be a fun project!!! 400hp from a 4cyl Diesel would be awesome!!!

Kurt: I'd love to see that Trooper!! I've never even seen a 4BT up close! I'd be interested in "feeling" how it runs!

M.F.: I've watched your build on RCC. Nice job on that RC!! A 4BT would be very cool.

DCH. I've seen D.W.'s W-150 build on the TDR. I'd bet he pops up sometime soon. He's probably busy driving that thing around!

Thanks again, all!
Andrew

·
Registered
9 Posts
4BT Van

My 4bt is going in a 94 ford E350 15 passenger van that will also be a four wheel drive dually. I will be using the rig to camp and explore and also to tow my rock crawling rigs, Motorcycles, fourwheelers, Boat and Jet skis. All at different times of course. I live in colorado so I want a rig that can do some exploring and pull up the long passes with a load and of course get some impressive mileage for the size of the rig. I will be useing a superduty vgt turbo to make this a nice driveable oilburner! As usual I am open to any input that may help in my quest for the perfect Derekmobile!
Derek

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Derek! A 4X4 Dually 15 passenger Van? That sounds awesome!!! Make sure to post some pics. Why not go with a 6bt in something like that? Just curious.

Andrew

·
Registered
57 Posts
I want to know how you plan on getting that vgt to work as I have contemplated puting one on my 4bta but I don't know how to go about doing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
vgt turbo

When the project begins I will begin posting pics. Right now I am gathering part, so far I have axles (dana 60's) the 4bt, the ford small block adaptor, the van of course, and a few other odds and ends. However I am in the middle of trying to buy a new house that I can build a shop at so this project is on hold for a month or two I hope. The vgt thing I have a software guru buddy (that fortunatly is a motorhead) he is going to build the circuitry and write the program for it. If we find some intrest in this he would be intrested in selling some units.
Derek

·
Registered
713 Posts
I put a 4bt in a ranger with 1 ton axles and a ZF 5 speed. It does pretty good off road but I'm now considering swapping the setup into a different vehicle since it's my daily driver too and I would like a little more space. It's so much work though.

·
Super Moderator
8,763 Posts
I want to know how you plan on getting that vgt to work as I have contemplated puting one on my 4bta but I don't know how to go about doing it.
What controls your VGT?
I have a vacuum controlled one off an audi which I'm going to try to fit to an isuzu 4BD1T. But I'm still pondering the best way to go about it. Converting it to pressure control (like a wastegate) should work but if anything goes wrong it'll go full closed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My Cj-7

th700r4
4bta
drives nice...
cjs only get around 12mpgs
the 4bt gets better than that.....
also a convertable...key for the summer and the beaches.
good time putting it together....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'm putting a 4bt in an '01 durango.

Purpose: comfy, spacious, efficient, daily driver and towrig for my lifted Jeep.

so far:

·
Registered
9 Posts
is the engine crooked?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
is the engine crooked?
yea, slightly. my trans is tilted as well, that's how it bolts up, not level with the engine. If i have problems, i will deal with it then, it will be hard to tell it's crooked when it's all bolted up, that's for sure. it's not tilted much either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
700r4 in that CJ

Jbox_Johnny,

What flexplate are you using with the 700r4? what torque converter? How is it holding up?

What adapter did you use to mate the 4BT to the 700r4?

I know alot of dumb questions but,
this has been a huge debate around this community for a long time.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts