Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search but did not see much about using dodge pickup truck diesel transmissions. It seems like it would be the easiest way to get overdrive for a 4bt swap. Is there problems with it, or just people like to try different stuff.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'll bet 80% of the guys here are running an NV4500...

I am.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Getrag G360 and NV4500 = dodge pickup truck diesel transmissions.

Ya learn something new ev'ry day, dontcha?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I did a quick search but did not see much about using dodge pickup truck diesel transmissions. It seems like it would be the easiest way to get overdrive for a 4bt swap. Is there problems with it, or just people like to try different stuff.

Thanks for any insight.
I think, for those that are not running Dodge-equipped transmissions, it's a matter of what they had already (whether in the donor vehicle or in the recipient), what they want to accomplish, what works easiest with the recipient vehicle, etc.

In my case I am sourcing the engine from a P30 w/ TH400, so I've got a GM adapter. I want to swap into a Chevy C2500 w/ auto. So, I'm highly likely to wind up with a GM auto w/ overdrive, or else I'd have to acquire the Dodge adapter, flywheel / flexplate, starter, transmission, and then re-invent the world in some ways (crossmember, driveline, ??).

·
Registered
500 Posts
for a 2wd application, it's a little more simple to use a dodge in a chevy setup etc. When you start getting into 4wd applications - Transfer cases, output shafts, input shafts, splines, etc, it can get hairy. Most folks try to use what they have due to budget restraints, practicality, or personal preferences.

I personally preferred a Chevrolet running gear, since I've worked mostly with these setups in the past. I wanted as little electronics as possible. The 700R4 was the natural choice, since I was going with an NP205 T-case. When I purchased the 4BT I made sure I had the chevy-auto adapter & flywheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Sorry about the lack of familarity about this, I just recently got interested in this type of swap. I didn't know the NV4500 was the dodge manual trans. Is that with OD and was there a straight 4 speed and if so what is the model number of that? What is the model name or number for the automatic versions, mainly interested in 4x4 versions. Thanks.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thanks guys. Sorry about the lack of familarity about this, I just recently got interested in this type of swap. I didn't know the NV4500 was the dodge manual trans. Is that with OD and was there a straight 4 speed and if so what is the model number of that? What is the model name or number for the automatic versions, mainly interested in 4x4 versions. Thanks.
The NV4500 (0.73 O/D I think) was used in Dodge 94-2001ish basically 2nd gen stuff. there is also a Chevy NV4500 which comes in 2 flavours, upto 96 was GM specific bellhousing and needs a GM flywheel housing to mate to a cummins also needs the rare cummins/chevy flywheel after 96 the Chevy nv4500 shared the same front bolt pattern as dodge and consequently the dodge I/P shaft and bellhousing could be put on. AFAIK dodge never used any non O/D manuals on the cummins engine, they did use a non O/D auto, the 1st gen 727 ,this needs the 1st gen cummins/dodge engine adapter . The only realistic options for non O/D 4 speeds are chevy truck boxes SM465 that sort of stuff, this needs the cummins/chevy engine adapter and the elusive flywheel. if you don't have the engine adapter & chevy flywheel for the chevy 4 speeds I would recommend the dodge NV4500 route as they are common and adapters are just dodge stuff. Whatever bolted to a 1st or 2nd gen dodge cummins will bolt to a 4bt as the engine bolt pattern is the same.
Basically as has been said people are using what they have, if they have a ford with a ZF they get a ford adapter or just keep it as it came out of the P30. Some are taking the TH400 out and bolting a 4L80E in its place as they have the right cummins/chevy adapter. Also a Spicer 5 speed 3053 non O/D (these also came with O/D 3053B) can be bolted up but its non 4x4 so a divorced tcase will be needed. There is a sticky about that. Probably better to have a look around this site and read everything. All this seems complicated but it all becomes clear as you learn more. Hope this helps.

Gaza

·
Registered
228 Posts
Getrag

Hey man, I used all the parts out of my first gen dodge, backing plate, sachs clutch with 170k on it (still holds better than my second gen clutch does), and I'm using the Getrag with a Dana 300 behind it. Got about 8,000 miles on this setup and it seems to work really well.

If you want my advice, I would just get everything out of a 94 to 2000 something dodge. That way you would have the NV4500 and all of the fixins', also the NV has a better overdrive.;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I see a lot of manuals being thrown in with everyones swaps. Is there a reason no one wants to go with the RH or RE transmissions?? They must be suitable, they came stock behind 6bts.

I'm just thinking from the offroading standpoint. Autos are a lot easier for crawling than sticks. Sticks obviously would be better for towing.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Manuals work better for everything if you have the right ratios for what you're doing and know how to run three pedals. Not sure I've ever heard someone claim an auto is prefferred offroad. Sand drags maybe? Autos heat up and die pretty quick in any high load, low speed situation where their cooler isn't seeing airflow. You don't have near as much low speed engine braking with an auto as a stick gives.

It's personal prefferrence.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I like the auto

The RH is really long with its OD section. For a short wheelbasean RE is prefered. I think the serious rock crawlers, sled pullers and drag racers all prefer autos.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Stand-alone high output tranny cooler with a thermostatically controlled electric fan solves any rock crawling heat issues. Usually plenty of room under the bed to mount same. Many Dodge Cummins 4X4 used the 47RH.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts