Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a 4bt question but looking for some insight from you experiened diesel heads. My wife put 26 gallons of regular gasoline in the 6.5td suburban while I was at the bank nearby. The pump shut off because it had reached $75. I added 6 more gallons of diesel. It ran rough and low powered over to Wal Mart where I added a quart of ATF. It wouldn't start so I dumped in a quart of Power Service. We let it sit for about 2 hours while we walked over to look at a 6.2 K10 we had been scheduled to see. When we came back it started and we drove it the 10 miles home with a 2000 ft. climb at speeds of 35 mph max. I would run decent up to about 1500 rpm and it idled nicely. What should I do now? Would it not run well because of the low cetane in gas? Should I dump in one or two more quarts of Power Service? Or do I have to drain that fuel mixture out? I was thinking maybe I could drain half of it and fill the other half back with diesel then poor it back in over time. But I'd like to avoid that unpleasant task if possible.
Brian

·
Registered
159 Posts
accidentally mixed gasoline with my diesel. What can I do?

One percent or less gasoline will lower the flash point of a gasoline/diesel fuel blend below the specification minimum for diesel fuel. This will not affect the fuel's engine performance, but it will make the fuel more hazardous to handle. Larger amounts of gasoline will lower the viscosity and/or cetane number of the blend below the specification minimums for diesel fuel. These changes can degrade combustion and increase wear.
The best course of action is to recycle gasoline-contaminated diesel fuel back to your supplier. People ask if they can correct the problem by adding more diesel fuel to the blend. Usually the answer is no; the amount of additional diesel fuel needed to bring the flash point on test is impractically large. Those who try dilution should have the blend checked by a laboratory before use to be sure it meets specifications.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Not a 4bt question but looking for some insight from you experiened diesel heads. My wife put 26 gallons of regular gasoline in the 6.5td suburban while I was at the bank nearby. The pump shut off because it had reached $75. I added 6 more gallons of diesel. It ran rough and low powered over to Wal Mart where I added a quart of ATF. It wouldn't start so I dumped in a quart of Power Service. We let it sit for about 2 hours while we walked over to look at a 6.2 K10 we had been scheduled to see. When we came back it started and we drove it the 10 miles home with a 2000 ft. climb at speeds of 35 mph max. I would run decent up to about 1500 rpm and it idled nicely. What should I do now? Would it not run well because of the low cetane in gas? Should I dump in one or two more quarts of Power Service? Or do I have to drain that fuel mixture out? I was thinking maybe I could drain half of it and fill the other half back with diesel then poor it back in over time. But I'd like to avoid that unpleasant task if possible.
Brian
Drain ALL of it out that you can, refill with diesel and the additive of your choice (Personally, I'd be filling with B20 if available...) Use the drained stuff in the lawnmower or weed eater..

The reason it didn't restart at Wal-Mart is probably due to it vapor locking. I've seen where some manufacturers say it's OK to use up to 20% Unleaded Gasoline in Diesel as a winter thinning agent. Your problem is that when the engine is hot, it can easily vapor lock if you've got too much gasoline in the mix. (Some of the folks that use a Gasoline / Veggie oil mix have reported similar problems, and have to back off the gasoline in the mix during the warmer months.)

·
Registered
696 Posts
I would empty the lot and fill with diesel adding a gallon or two of the petrol mix every fill up to use it up, those I/Ps are crap at the best of times and expensive to replace. Its not the easiest option but you know you should.

P.S I have a 6.5 N/A sitting on the garage floor and would probably swap it for 26 gallon of fuel.

Gaza

·
Registered
854 Posts
P.S I have a 6.5 N/A sitting on the garage floor and would probably swap it for 26 gallon of fuel.
LOL - with petrol at £1 per liter it adds up quick!!!! (That $8 a gallon for the US folks)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like it might be time to trade in the wife! :eek:
She's got some other good points. Easy on the eyes, mother of my daughter, etc. Got 15 years invested in her, so not a realistic option. However, she recently cooked the motor in the '85 K10 6.2/Banks short bed when a freeze plug let go and she wasn't watching the gage, so she's not exactly batting 1000 at this point.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
She's got some other good points. Easy on the eyes, mother of my daughter, etc. Got 15 years invested in her, so not a realistic option. However, she recently cooked the motor in the '85 K10 6.2/Banks short bed when a freeze plug let go and she wasn't watching the gage, so she's not exactly batting 1000 at this point.
Dunno... Sounds like she was trying to help with your desire to swap a Cummins into something..

·
Registered
500 Posts
Dunno... Sounds like she was trying to help with your desire to swap a Cummins into something..
+1 for cummins swaps, but seriously, if this is like the 2nd diesel vehicle you own how could she accidentally put gasoline in it? Blonde moment? :rasta:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok - but I'd yank the keys and let her know that it is either the bicycle or the bus from now on.

·
Registered
854 Posts
when a freeze plug let go and she wasn't watching the gage.
Watching the gauge wouldn't help, really.
If a freeze plug goes, the coolant dumps all at once and the gauge is useless at that point. Go easy on her.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the replies. I drained about 37 gallons of the concoction out. Drove it to the fuel station (at about 10mph) and filled it with diesel. We then drove it on a 20 mile round trip and it seems to be back to normal. I'll let you know if anything bad happens in the near future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts