Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: i got a 96 3/4 ton dodge cummins with auto trans. I'm thinking about switch it to manual with NV4500 and use the auto trans for my conversion into a 97 suburban with a 4bt. The think is i don't know whether my trans is 47rh or 47re, is there a way that you can tell. and whether this trans. would work on a 4bt. Both of these are 2wd, your inputs will be greatly thanks.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
how does the overdrive work in the cab? The RE will have a button to turn off overdrive.

If you can switch all of the electronics from the 6bt to the 4bt you should be able to run either. That's all the wiring/computer/etc/etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i do have a button to turn off the overdrive in the cab, so this is a 47re then. how much wiring are you talking about? will this effect the NV4500 swap into the dodge trucks at all?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
yes i do have a button to turn off the overdrive in the cab, so this is a 47re then. how much wiring are you talking about? will this effect the NV4500 swap into the dodge trucks at all?
I would probably say a lot of wiring. I'm not positive on how the 47RE and the 12V cummins work. There must be some sort of computer controlling it? You would need to use the automatic computer with the automatic trans. You would need probalby need to get a manual computer for the nv4500 anyways.

I'm guessing there is at least a TPS and a crank shaft position sensor on the 6bt that the 47RE will probalby need, along all the wiring to the transmission.

I'd get a Factory Service Manual and start reading. They are VERY informative, my swap would have been much harder without one.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Identification tips here,

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/dodge/dodge_products.html

Click on dodge diesel transmissions, bottom right hand side, "How to identify your transmission"...

And there is a stamped number on the drivers side just above the oil pan. You can call a dealer for info/identifying numbers.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
RH, the H is hydraulic control. RE the E is Electronic control. The transmission is virtually the same internally, the valvebody controll and lockup torque converter is where the electronics come in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You'll need the PCM and wiring from the truck your taking the tranny out of.

You have a 47RE tranny, the 94-95 dodges have 47RH's, and the 96-2002 have 47RE's.

The 94-95's still have the O/D button, as they are the same-just hydraulically locking T/C, as the 96-up's where electronically locking T/C.

Mikey

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You'll need the PCM and wiring from the truck your taking the tranny out of.

You have a 47RE tranny, the 94-95 dodges have 47RH's, and the 96-2002 have 47RE's.

The 94-95's still have the O/D button, as they are the same-just hydraulically locking T/C, as the 96-up's where electronically locking T/C.

Mikey
that's interesting, thinking back i was comparing two completely different transmisisons.

Here's some more info: http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id6.html

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Are they decent trannies?

How are they for size?
My buddy has a rebuilt 47RE in his 98, i think the trans has like 7k miles on it or something, it doesn't shift right and has some issues. when he gets it fixed i can let you know what he did. It's the biggest issue with the truck.

I'm not sure about size. the 46RE is longer and heavier than a 700r4. the 700r4 is something like 30" long i believe.

In general, stock chrysler transmissions aren't the best. There are companies making good ones, like Goerend and some others.

Personally? I'd avoid them. Well, I did avoid them. I had electronics issues with the 42RE in my Grand Cherokee too, seems to be the most common problem. They are hit or miss really though.

The RH models seem to be better. I considered the 47RH, but since i had the chevy adapter, the GM trans made more sense at the time.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I found a 47RE that I'm going to use with my 4BT swap. The big question now is would I be able to reuse the PCM in the 2000 Dodge Dakota (truck receiving the swap) ? Reusing the existing PCM would be ideal since it is off the shelf, etc.; however, I'm not opposed to going a standalone controller.

What are other people doing?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
The stock computer might work if you can give it a cam signal, a crank signal, and engine coolant temp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts