Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired a 94 ZJ jeep grand cherokee and a 4bt from a frito lay truck with a th400. The jeep has a 5.2 V8 which means it should have a 46RH tranny in it which was also found behind the early dodge cummins. Is the bell-housing pattern on the 5.2 the same as the dodge cummins? It would be nice if I could get an adapter off a dodge and bolt my 4bt right up to the jeep tranny and just use a dodge cummins torque converter, flex-plate, flywheel and such. I have done some research and have received conflicting answers.

If the dodge adapter plate will not bolt to the jeep tranny, then I plan on going to a 4l60e trans since that should bolt up to the current adapter plate; I also plan on buying an after-market converter that will work with the th400 flex plate and give me a 1200 rpm stall speed. I know I will have to deal with computer issues.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I have acquired a 94 ZJ jeep grand cherokee and a 4bt from a frito lay truck with a th400. The jeep has a 5.2 V8 which means it should have a 46RH tranny in it which was also found behind the early dodge cummins. Is the bell-housing pattern on the 5.2 the same as the dodge cummins? It would be nice if I could get an adapter off a dodge and bolt my 4bt right up to the jeep tranny and just use a dodge cummins torque converter, flex-plate, flywheel and such. I have done some research and have received conflicting answers.

If the dodge adapter plate will not bolt to the jeep tranny, then I plan on going to a 4l60e trans since that should bolt up to the current adapter plate; I also plan on buying an after-market converter that will work with the th400 flex plate and give me a 1200 rpm stall speed. I know I will have to deal with computer issues.

Thanks
the bellhousings are different between the gas 46rh and diesel 46rh.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for clearing that up.

I was afraid that was the case. I also heard the v10 gas bellhousings were the same as the diesel; however, on Wikipedia, it states the the v10 bellhousing is the same as the v8s. Is there a website or book I could reference so I can edit Wikipedia so it is correct? I would post a link to the wiki page, but the site will not let me; however, you can view the Wikipedia article by googling "List of Chrysler bellhousing patterns wiki".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does the small 46RH use the same OD housing as the Diesel 46RH if so could you use a diesel 46RH main case and then be able to use the Jeep OD and transfer case, or are the middle shafts different sizes?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds like an awesome idea. What would really be nice is if the 47RH case would bolt to my OD unit so I would have stronger internals and lockup built in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Any of the rh overdrive units will bolt to any of the rh cases, even a500s, or 518s, will even bolt to re trannies but there are other things you have to do to get that combo to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts