Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1978 Ford Bronco that I purchased a 1996 Cummins 4BT 3.9L for. The 4BT came with an Eaton 5-speed manual transmission model: FS-4205A which has no overdrive and has a drive shaft for a divorced transfer case. I would like to replace the Eaton 5-speed with an NV4500 transmission. My question is: does the NV4500 transmission have the ability to work with this engine, in this vehicle, with a married New Process 205 gear driven transfer case? I would really like to keep this transfer case because it is bulletproof and I'd rather have gear driven over chain driven. That, and I'd rather not have to buy another transfer case. Also, does anyone know if the NV4500 will fit my bell housing?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
You could get an SAE bell for the NV4500 but the easiest way will be to use all Dodge stuff.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
One could also bolt the 4500 to the Eaton case if input shaft correct length. Retainer could be shimmed if dia. not correct. Drill and tap new mounting holes in Eaton case. Married 205 should work if one has the correct parts.

Ed in CO.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
4BT to NV4500 to Ford NP205 is exactly what's in my 1995 Ford Bronco. The NV4500 is GM early model with lower 1st gear. If yours is Dodge - you should have less problems to matte it as the GM bellhousing was hard to find (for me). So far it works fine. Milan

·
Registered
11,259 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Eaton 5 speed on that engine is SAE2. There are aftermarket adapters to fit the NV4500 to SAE. A company called Quick Draw Brand makes them. You can also get an adapter for the NV4500 to the Ford NP205 from Advanced Adapters. Have to be careful as there are several versions of the NV4500. Early GM (1992-1994), late GM (1995 up), and Dodge (1995 up). If you went with a Dodge Cummins NV4500, it would probably be better to change the adapter, starter, and flywheel assembly to a Dodge Cummins. Same would be true with the late GM. On that one you'd need to change the input shaft assembly to a Dodge type and of course the transfer case adapter would be different. The early GM NV4500 is a bit more complex since it has a unique transmission bolt pattern. Another option would be to use a small blockFord ZF S5-42 transmission and a 4bt Ford Cummins adapter setup. That transmission would be a direct bolt up to your transfer case so no adapter needed there. There is a small mod to clear the shift rails but nothing major.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts