Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1988 CPL 696 4BT. I was told it has the balance shafts in it, how do I tell? If it does will I still need the liquid motor mounts? Also it has a Lucas injection pump, can I use it? Its going in a 1959 Willys wagon commuter SUV. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Drop the oil pan and look up in there for the balancer. If you have this balancer you should have a real smooth running engine. Don't know what the application was for the Lucas pumps or if you can turn the fuel up on those.

Got a pic of the Willys? Saw one for sale near me about a year ago. That should get about 35 mpg with the 4bt inside.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I looked in my Cummins Shop Manual. Cpl 696 is not listed. The CPL's run from 591 to 2808. Maybe a call to Cummins at 1-800-diesels can get more info. Could it be a industrial/stationary model ?

Paul

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ok, I have never converted a Stationary Cummins to Automotive application. But I have read that the injection pump needs to be changed among other things. The governor on the Stationary Application is set up to keep the engine running at the design RPM as load increases. Where on an automotive application the governor limits the top RPM.

Hopefully someone here is familar with converting from Stationary to automotive.

Paul

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pump #

Here are the numbers on the Two tags on the injection pump (lucas).
U3042F571 28580010KFU A98L800 8 1890
Small tag on safety wired cover 3912855
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice!

I doubt if mine will ever look that good, its pretty rough now, lots of rust and holes of unknown origin.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Look on the timing cover, above the id tag, look at the EPA tag. Does it say EPA "Approved for on road use" or "Off road use only"
If you look in the first "Sticky" in this forum, there is a discussion about the difference between a on road and off road governers for Diesels

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am sure that the 4bt diesel Willys Wagon is one of the ten vechicles we will see in Heaven.. right along side will be my Mercedes 240D and the M37 I once owned.

Not sure what will be in Hell... Oldsmobile diesel's maybe?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does this mean I should change pumps? Is there a market for the Lucas pump, it's new? I want the thing to be safe to drive. Any thing to look for in changing pumps? I'm new to this engine. Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, what I meant was my pump is new. If I can't use it is there a market for it? Would to get some money back. I should have been better prepared when I went to look at it. Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Does this mean I should change pumps? Is there a market for the Lucas pump, it's new? I want the thing to be safe to drive. Any thing to look for in changing pumps? I'm new to this engine. Thanks.
Generally it isn't cost effictive to change out pumps from offroad to onroad. If you could find a onroad pump for a steal, there is still the legality of the EPA tag stating it's a offroad Diesel. Depending on how zealous the DMV is where you live, it may or maynot be a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts