Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
812 Posts
We would lose the bottom end around 4800 . it was an oiling issue . There was some tricks that helped cure that problem and 6500 and change seemed to be ok. The side oiler was pretty sweet. i tripped over one a year or so back for a grand . i did not want it but a buddy grabbed it pretty quick .

bruce
Ok, for , me living in the mountains under a rock, in the back of a cave, what the hell is a windage tray ? Now, I can tell you about squeezing maple trees ha ha

PAul

· Registered
812 Posts
If you are in a pool and wip your arm in an arc all the water will travel off your fingers in a stream . Advertising has used this effect with womens hair for many years and most of us have seen this.. In an engine the same effect happens but the stream contacts the oil in the pan . You then get the crank dragging oil up from the pan . This is a form of "viscous friction " . I have seen the dyno tests on running a windage tray . They do work .I do not have the RPM numbers though .
Most windage trays are nothing more than a screen that bolts between the pan and block or use the main bolts. This breaks up the stream of oil from the crank.
Thanks Bruce, very interesting. This effect in engines is all new to me, but it sure makes sense.

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.