Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I may have found a 4BT that came from a wood chipper. It appears to have a P-pump, which is odd, since all stationary engines I've seen have either a VE or A pump. If this is a P-pump, can this be used on the road or does it have a load sensing governor?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
There are 2 different P-pumps used on 4bt's. The P-7100 which is the on-highway pump, and the P-3000 used on the off-highway motors. Not sure if they can be interchanged without switching the gear case.

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
There are a LOT of Cummins powered wood chippers that have had their original engines replaced. A friend of mine was flipping them about 10 years ago. He would buy one with a rod sticking out of the side of the block. Then he would buy a few P30 step vans which he would remove the engines from and install them in the wood chippers. There were no governor changes done to these P30 engines. The locking throttles provided the RPM settings.

You need the usual information to make the determination; CPL, Bosch pump number, a picture, etc.

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
There are 2 different P-pumps used on 4bt's. The P-7100 which is the on-highway pump, and the P-3000 used on the off-highway motors. Not sure if they can be interchanged without switching the gear case.
There were numerous P3000 pumps used on 6BT school bus engines. Some of these P3000 equipped engines have been for sale here on the forum.

·
Registered
12,063 Posts
Like was said, the P pump on that engine is likely the P3000. Very good pump and normally has the correct governor for road use. Might have to change the oil pan and pickup as those usually have the center sump pan. The P3000 isn't quite as good as the P7100 but is still excellent. Those engines also are known to come with the water aftercooler like the one in the photo below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all.

What is the fueling potential of a P3000 vs a VE Pump?

The pump in char1335's photo, that's a P7100, right? I understand the AFC housing is different in a P3000.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,063 Posts
If you looked at a P3000 and P7100 they would appear almost identical. As far as I know, the one in my photo is a P3000. Most of the differences are internal. You can actually convert a 3000 to a 7100 but it can be a tad expensive. I'd think the P3000 would have a bit more power potential than the VE, just not as much as a P7100. If you can look at the injection pump ID tags on the engine in question, you can quickly determine what it is. The ID plate on the side of the pump will give you its specs and the governor ID is probably on the end. If it has a RQV in the part # then it's a normal road type governor. The RSV is the constant speed type but can still be used on the highway. Just have to understand how it works.

·
Registered
49 Posts
FYI...the "other" governors work fine - just take some getting used to. Been driving one since 2011.
27 mpg in a 1999 Dakota.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FYI...the "other" governors work fine - just take some getting used to. Been driving one since 2011.
27 mpg in a 1999 Dakota.
I know a guy who drives one and he's quite happy with it too.

·
Registered
12,063 Posts
Yes, the RSV governor can be street driven. The best analogy is it's sort of like having the cruise control on. When you approach a hill the injection pump governor advances the fuel instead of you having to press the accelerator.

·
Registered
12,063 Posts
Will that flat oil pan work?
Generally, that style pan can't be used on a street vehicle. Often has interference issues with steering linkage or axle. Changing that requires a new pan, oil pickup, gasket set, and possibly relocating the oil dip stick or changing it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine came with a conventional automotive-style oil pan.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My woodchipper 4BT (CPL1963, 130HP) had a P3000 with the road-type governor (go figure).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question I’m wondering how do I get the original hydraulic pump on a 4bt out of a wood chipper to a 4bt out of a skid loader?

·
Registered
12,063 Posts
Not exactly sure what you're wanting to do. Hydraulic pumps are normally gear driven off the front gear housing. Just 2 bolts hold it in place. Do you have anything currently in the drive port? Now if you are wanting to adapt a bare pump to the engine there are special adapters for that. Cummins 3939961, 3939962, 3939963 are some of those parts and there are others. Those adapters are very expensive. In the $700-1000+ range.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts