Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have the correct P/S Pump? I purchased this Borgeson P/S pump (# 800328) to replace the Saginaw Pump on my 4bt w/ a P-pump, but it does not look right to me.
First off the Borgeson Pump has a collar over the shaft, which I guess I could remove; but also the Borgeson doesn't look as tho it will sit properly once it is in place.
Most pump that I see on a 4BT would have a notch in the reservoir that would allow the P/S pump to sit around the P-Pump, which this Borgenson does not have.
In order to avoid the placement of a remote reservoir I was hoping to use a P/S pump with a self contained reservoir.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I think your pump was designed to be attached to a vacuum pump. Some pictures from my computer:

Dorman 904-810 vacuum pump

On my engine - old picture - The vacuum/PS pump unit was off of a Cummins/Dodge that was scrapped. Eventually started leaking and both pumps were replacer 6 or 7 years ago.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think your pump was designed to be attached to a vacuum pump.
Thats what I was thinking....but the sales men at PDP told me it would work even if i did not use the vacuum pump

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Thats what I was thinking....but the sales men at PDP told me it would work even if i did not use the vacuum pump
Do you have an adapter that bolts to the back side of the timing case? The gear on the adapter is driven by the timing gears.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it would work if I removed the collar off the Borgenson Pump, the shafts are nearly the same size: Although I don't think the dipstick will read correctly

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Remove that adapter (bottom bolt is already missing). Assemble it on the workbench. How you attach the gear is not clear to me.

Russ

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not sure how to install the gear either, I thought i would take it to a machine shop....maybe they would have an idea

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
You are asking questions about an uncommon part - and asking us to "guess"....

1. Remove the upper-left bolt and take this adapter off.
2. Did it come out with the gear attached?
2a. If no gear, is the gear laying loose in the timing case?
3. Are the 3 protrusions threaded?
4. Test fit the new pump on the adapter - Report back

Russ

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Russ,
I have already disassembled the old pump. Yes I have the adapter, the gear, and the three bolts to attach the new pump with. I don't mean to make this complicated. My question is in two parts.
My first question is: can the collar on the new pump be removed from the shaft so that I may install the gear? let it be known The shaft on the new pump is .005in smaller then the shaft on the old pump.
My Second question would be: is the new pump leaning to for to the left? the filler cap is sitting some where between 9:00 & 10:00, and it just seem to have to much of a left hand lean to me.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Beyond my knowledge - Hopefully the morning crew will be able to help.

Russ

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
How did you remove the gear from the old pump.
The collar as you call it is the drive from a pump as fitted to a vacuum pump set up, Trying to remember what I did to remove mine. Thinking it maybe a press fit.

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
I'll try to save you a little anguish. First, you will not remove that collar on the pump designed for the vacuum pump unless you cut it off. That thing is heat shrunk onto the shaft and many have tried to get those off with no success except to cut it off. Second, that reservoir on that pump will not clear a P7100. That too has been tried many times. The P7100 pump has a reservoir like the one pictured below. It requires a remote canister for the fluid. If you are running hydroboost there is one return line in the pump and one on the remote can for that purpose. Chevy Astro vans with hydroboost used this same pump setup on theirs was belt driven. The pump on an '84 Chevy K30 had the round can and 2 return lines like in the second photo. As far as changing out the drive gear on the pump that isn't rocket science. If you look at the face of the gear you should see 2 bolt holes. Those are to attach a gear puller to remove it. The center of the pump shaft is threaded. You need to install a bolt in that hole to push against. A round head cap screw works fine. Once you've pulled the gear, installing it on the new pump is easy. You need a bolt, a couple heavy duty washers, and a nut. You use that to draw the gear onto the shaft. Another thing, your pump bracket on the engine is missing a cork gasket that goes between the pump and bracket to prevent oil leaks. Below is a page from Uptime Truck Parts which shows all the power steering parts. Freightliner is another source for the pump as they show it. If you get some sheet gasket material you can make the cork gasket. Uptime's part # is 1100253.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Charles,
I thought perhaps they sent me the wrong pump, I was hoping for a pump like that pictured here. I have seen them set up with 2 return lines for hydro boost. Any thoughts on where I could get just the pump? as I have everything else.

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
That style pump works fine on the VE pump engines but there is part of the P7100 that comes into conflict with it. If you put that one on a 6bt with P7100 it might fit since the pump is 2 cylinders longer. You can buy the Chevy Astro style pump pretty cheap. Have seen them in the $70-80 range. Rock Auto has rebuilt units ranging from $40-93 including core and brand new ones are $107-186. That highest price is a genuine AC Delco OEM part. Just look up a 2005 Astro pump and you should find the ones with the round can. Finding the remote reservoir might be a bit harder. Dorman makes a replacement under part 603-953 which is plastic. The OEM metal can will cost near $100. Browsing in the salvage yard you might find one for a few $$.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts