Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a chevy flywheel housing and flywheel. Hit me up if you have one or know where to get one.

·
Registered
12,639 Posts
Those are getting kind of hard to find. The guy at Quick Draw Brand has them for $1395. That's about half what Cummins wants for the parts. Used to see these things for $600-800 but that is long past.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shit 10 years ago I gave one away, lol. Used to be a few hundred bucks at most.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The old chevy flywheel housings were all aluminum. Bolt pattern was all the same AFAIK, all SBC bellhousing. Clutch doesn't matter because it'd be handled by the trans bellhousing, not the flywheel housing, but fwiw, my friend will be putting an auto behind the flywheel housing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you happen to know what the cummins part number you are looking for? I have a couple housings at the shop I have my truck at. I might have a chevy one.

·
Registered
12,639 Posts
The GM flywheel is the sort of rare item. Probably less than 10% of the 4bts in GM vans were manual. The part number found on the flywheel is 3913055. In the Cummins catalog, the complete unit with ring gear is 3913056. These numbers are often misread as 3916055 or 3918055. The engine adapter plate is more common but came in several versions. All the version have a built in tilt for the engine which was necessary to clear an obstruction on the GM vans. The main difference is some versions have 7 bolts to attach it to the block and later versions had 8 bolts. Like most things in Cummins they like to change part numbers a lot. The adapter plate with 8 holes can be found as part 3910516, 3914428, and a newer number is 3916101. Interestingly, Cummins show that one as using 9 bolts. Not sure where the 9th one goes since the blocks only have 8 holes. LOL. Just for fun, if you look up 3916101 in the Cummins store the price is $2011.48. That's just the bare stripped down adapter plate. Don't know the part number on the 7 hole adapter plate

·
Registered
12,639 Posts
Below are photos for the two different types of GM adapters. That 7 holes model has a part # TMC-6100786. It says made in USA but apparently is was made by some company other than Cummins. If I could find a serial number for an old engine used in a GM application there might be some clue there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, what you really want is Cummins engine to Chevy block bell housing!

Ed in CO
No.

Cummins has this thing called a "flywheel housing" that bolts to the back of the block. It then provides a provision for a starter, and a bellhousing bolt pattern, for whatever transmission you want to bolt on. There are tons of flywheel housings out there, two chevy variants, dodge variant, ford IIRC, a few different SAE types, but they're all called flywheel housings.

@StevoJones let me know what you got. Thanks man.

·
Registered
12,639 Posts
Quick Draw Brand shows the complete kit in stock for $1395. That includes the adapter plate, flywheel, pilot bearing, and bolts. It makes no mention of the starter spacer which is required if you use the stock Denso starter. Here is that listing.https://quickdrawbrand.com/product/adapter-kit-for-cummins-chevy-manual-transmission/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for a chevy flywheel housing and flywheel. Hit me up if you have one or know where to get one.
I have Chevy adapter pn 3914428 and flywheel pn 3913055 that I got with a 4bt cpl 858 to put into my 79 FJ40. I’m using a split transfer case and NV4500 for that project so don’t really need the aforementioned, at least for this project. The flywheel is like new. It appears that the engine was freshly rebuilt but the builder did not put threadlock or torque correctly one of the timing case bolts. Said bolt came lose very early in operation and jammed the oil pump gear, with catastrophic results for the oil pump. Apparently many bread trucks had an idiot light and an idiot buzzer in the oil pressure circuit so the driver must have pulled over immediately. I partially tore it down to inspect the main and rod bearings and they were perfect.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have Chevy adapter pn 3914428 and flywheel pn 3913055 that I got with a 4bt cpl 858 to put into my 79 FJ40. I’m using a split transfer case and NV4500 for that project so don’t really need the aforementioned, at least for this project. The flywheel is like new. It appears that the engine was freshly rebuilt but the builder did not put threadlock or torque correctly one of the timing case bolts. Said bolt came lose very early in operation and jammed the oil pump gear, with catastrophic results for the oil pump. Apparently many bread trucks had an idiot light and an idiot buzzer in the oil pressure circuit so the driver must have pulled over immediately. I partially tore it down to inspect the main and rod bearings and they were perfect.
Sweet. Pm incoming.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts