Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My starter & alternator rebuild shop says he cannot find a replacement "gear" (bendix?) to use on the old 4-71 starter I took him. This is a 24 volt starter that fits on the "passenger" side.

Anyone have either the old starter or the newer replacement starter lying around? It doesn't matter if it doesn't work, I'm planning rebuilding it. Must be complete and have good gears on it.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Do you still have a Delco tag number on this starter? Like a 110XXXXX number on it?

·
Registered
432 Posts
i have an extra one off my 453T, dont know if theyre the same, i have a newer one off my old 453 and i dont need this one. I can get a snapshot and get a closer look at it if you want

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just got off the phone with the starter re-builder. He says the Delco tag is not readable. He said (I think I heard this correctly) it needs to be a:

40 NT

Again, I think I heard him correctly. I will verify at lunch time.

Correction: He said:

40MT

He also said the original starter is 12volt. Well, 24 volts wasn't heating it up and it was spinning FAST!!! :D

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
40MT sounds right

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
The 40 MT lists two voltages, two direction rotations, and 23 different starter drives. The Delco number is usually stamped into the tag. Scraping the tag with a knife blade is a no-no. Brake cleaner or another cleaning solvent will usually show the number. ALL the parts appear available for that starter however the Delco number helps out a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.