Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i,m confused, these turbos go from $120 to $1200 new, mostly around $200 to $300. are they worth buying? i want to put twins oh my ffpw.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,660 Posts
I'm assuming you mean a HX35W, I looked on ebay for the "wx35w" and nothing came up.
Back to you question about turbo cost. The HX35w is manufactured by Holset (Cummins) in the US or China. IF you find a "HX35w" that that doesn't have the "Holset" cast into the tubo housing it's a counterfeit, don't buy it. IF it's not HOLSET don't buy it. There JUNK. You should be able to find a used HX35W far cheaper.

Read up on counterfeit Holset trubo

·
Registered
11,893 Posts
Like Scout says, buyer beware. There are tons of fake Holset turbos on the market. They are cheap and generally cheaply built. That's one situation where you get what you pay for. Brand new Holset units can be expensive. You might pick up a good used unit and rebuild it. Rebuild kits are not terribly expensive. If the twins are on a 4bt, A 44mm HX30W secondary fed by an HX35W primary is a good setup. There have been a number of builds using that combo. If your engine happened to have the 40mm HX30W that one will do OK as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you Char&Scout for your input. I currently have a super hx30w and a p pump, I will look for a used hx35w , which would be the most desirable , in your opinion ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
thank you Char&Scout for your input. I currently have a super hx30w and a p pump, I will look for a used hx35w , which would be the most desirable , in your opinion ? Thanks
For what engine?

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
4bt out of 2000 freightliner tater chip van
As Char1355 said use your existing HX30w combined with the HX35w for the twin set up. The HX35 by it's self is to slow to spool on the 4B, All you'll get is lots of smoke, your power will move to the top end, no bottom end torque.

200hp 4BT recipie

Reactions: eggman918

·
Registered
11,893 Posts
If you have a Super HX30W turbo that is the largest single you can use on a 4bt with good results. Larger units like the HX35W have been tried and come up short. They boost slower, produce most of their power at higher RPM, and have higher EGT. How much power are you looking to produce? A single turbo on that engine starts to reach its limits around the 225-250 HP range. That is also when the stock 5x.010 injectors begin to play out. Above the you'd want one size larger injectors which are 5x.012. Those came on the 250 HP 4bt marine engine. That coupled with twin turbos can get into dangerous power levels. You have to make sure the rest of the engine is up to the task. Have to be sure the vehicle can stand up to it as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have a Super HX30W turbo that is the largest single you can use on a 4bt with good results. Larger units like the HX35W have been tried and come up short. They boost slower, produce most of their power at higher RPM, and have higher EGT. How much power are you looking to produce? A single turbo on that engine starts to reach its limits around the 225-250 HP range. That is also when the stock 5x.010 injectors begin to play out. Above the you'd want one size larger injectors which are 5x.012. Those came on the 250 HP 4bt marine engine. That coupled with twin turbos can get into dangerous power levels. You have to make sure the rest of the engine is up to the task. Have to be sure the vehicle can stand up to it as well.
I'd like 300 , I think the truck can handle it, 56 flat fender power wagon,intercooler dana 60/70, nv4500 and atlas t case.

·
Registered
11,893 Posts
300 HP can readily be done and we have several members who have done that. Twin turbos would definitely be in the picture. Might even consider doing this in stages and start with a single turbo. Must remember that diesels are more into torque then HP. A 225 HP Cummins will have as much or more torque than a big block gas engine that may have twice that HP. On the injection pump side, install 3000 or 4000 RPM governor springs, a #10 torque plate, and adjust the timing to 16 deg. Any higher on the timing will risk a blown head gasket unless you do some other mods. You can keep the stock 5x.010 injectors with a single but 5x.012 would be needed for the higher power level. I'd install head studs and if you think the twins are still a viable option consider having the head O ringed. Doing 300 HP will need boost in the 40 PSI range and that's about the limit for a stock head gasket without O rings. There can be several smaller things that can be done to insure longevity. Might have pistons and bearings specialty coated, install new rod bolts, and could add a balancer to the crank. Also, if twin are a go think on an oil pump with more output and a 7 plate oil cooler like came on the 6bt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts