Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start putting a 4BT 1990 YJ. I am looking for any advice info or anything.

The main thing I am worried about is the motor mounts and the strenght of the frame to support the engine.

D

·
0 Posts
I don't think frame strength is an issue, unless it's rusted. Why are you worried about the motor mounts? I've seen pictures a few swapped YJ's and they don't appear to have any clearance issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I was asking is there anywhere where you can purchase motor mounts, or shoul dwe just fabricate some.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm currently working on this swap in my 1994 Jeep YJ. The donor vehicle is 1988 Chev P30.

The engine and transmission have been removed from the donor. The wrangler has the body off and the frame has been stripped of the suspension.
I just purchased the Ford 8.8 rear axle to be swapped in as well.

I just recently found this site. I'll post some pix of the buildup as I go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
4bt in yj

I just finished doing a swap into my 90 yj.I have a zf 5 speed out of a 87 f250 with a 460 in it. I made my own adptor for the trans out of some 1/2 x 6in flat bar .Ihad to double it plus a piece of 1/8 plate as the adp had to be 1 and 1/8 thick for the trans to be spaced ..I have 373 gears .It turns 2000 rpms at 70 mph with 33in tires.I dont know how fast it will run I ran it up to 70 in 4th and still had some more in it.I put in a 3200 spring from Piers diesel.I used the exaust from the frito van.The brake booster and various parts.I also used exaust manifold fron a 6bt .Cut off both ends and fliped it upside down.Iused a hx35 from a 6 bt. Intake plate was cut to use 6 bt cross over with the grid heater. This wase all done in 3 weeks buy a old cripple man.So any one can do it if you try.Motor mounts are very easy to build.I used the center mount holes .The jeep drives good and the milage is awsome.I am willing to help anyone with this swap .You can call me for help at 225 405 5984.

Pat

·
Registered
15 Posts
The jeep drives good and the milage is awsome.
I'm contemplating a future project like this as well, probably in a TJ though. I'm lurking in the archives, reading, researching and putting a spreadsheet together (what can I say, I'm anal! :D )

What is "awesome mileage" in your setup? High 20s, low 30s, even better than that?!?!?

I've heard of someone else with a 4bt with an AX-5 tranny in a Jeep getting MPGs in the 30s, but have not heard similar statements and have not been able to confirm that info

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just finished doing a swap into my 90 yj.I have a zf 5 speed out of a 87 f250 with a 460 in it. I made my own adptor for the trans out of some 1/2 x 6in flat bar .Ihad to double it plus a piece of 1/8 plate as the adp had to be 1 and 1/8 thick for the trans to be spaced ..I have 373 gears .It turns 2000 rpms at 70 mph with 33in tires.I dont know how fast it will run I ran it up to 70 in 4th and still had some more in it.I put in a 3200 spring from Piers diesel.I used the exaust from the frito van.The brake booster and various parts.I also used exaust manifold fron a 6bt .Cut off both ends and fliped it upside down.Iused a hx35 from a 6 bt. Intake plate was cut to use 6 bt cross over with the grid heater. This wase all done in 3 weeks buy a old cripple man.So any one can do it if you try.Motor mounts are very easy to build.I used the center mount holes .The jeep drives good and the milage is awsome.I am willing to help anyone with this swap .You can call me for help at 225 405 5984.

Pat
Do you have any pictures or a website with pictures?? I am doing a swap into a 97 TJ Wrangler. http://web.mac.com/my96z28ss

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you have any pictures or a website with pictures?? I am doing a swap into a 97 TJ Wrangler. http://web.mac.com/my96z28ss
Nice site! I bookmarked it for reference!

I'm just starting my conversion on my 94 YJ. 4BT/NV4500/231. I have a 4.5" Rubicon Exress lift on it now, but will probably add a 1" Body lift and try to run 35's under it. I picked up a 4.10 Ford 8.8" out of an Explorer yesterday.

Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts