Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Vendor
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I'm selling my 02 4BT Tacoma and starting over with new ideas.

New engine is a ISBe3.9 that I am converting to a front gear case 3.9 Common Rail.

ISBe3.9 Block
ISBe3.9 Head (16 Valve)
Dodge 5.9 Pistons 2004-07
Fractured Cap Rods
Custom injectors
Brazilian Ford F250 ECU calibration (No emission systems) 200HP, 3200GOV
Dodge Cummins 6.7 injection pump
4BT crank
MaxSpool Engineering duel valve springs
MaxSpool Engineering Push Rods
Colt stage 4
47RE transmission

Bottom Line, its going to be pretty epic!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a 4.5 16v with twins on it and she was almost finished but burned in a forest fire ... any way good luck to you .. I have a set of head studs from that motor it was isb common rail 4.5 so they should work for you if you need studs I can make a dealfor ya.

·
Vendor
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a 4.5 16v with twins on it and she was almost finished but burned in a forest fire ... any way good luck to you .. I have a set of head studs from that motor it was isb common rail 4.5 so they should work for you if you need studs I can make a dealfor ya.
Awesome, I sent a PM.

I'm excited!

What vehicle will this motor go in?
I'm going to build a newer 4 door Tacoma, with 18 month old my 11 year old two dogs and the wife. The extended cab isn't cutting it. I've meet a lot of people over the last 2 years, I can get this next motor built considerably cheaper with a lot of custom / interesting modifications.

Over this next year I might be able to sell the Brazilian F250 ECUs (ISBe3.9/200HP), HE200VG turbos and a HE341VE with the Chrysler center cartage and exhaust housing.

·
Vendor
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The normal ISBe3.9 and 4.5 engines are rear gear and do to the extra length of the crank of these. You cant use them in a front gear application, so you have to use the Chrysler Common Rail front gear case, oil pan, oil pickup and rear main seal cover along with a 4BT crank.

To make all the parts line up I started with the oil pickup tube and pan.

·
Vendor
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't started on the oil pan but here's how it looks compared to the block.

·
Vendor
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Almost done with the oil pan

Once you mod the oil pan and pickup tube. Everything from the 5.9 or 6.7 common rail will bolt to the block. If you wanted to P pump an ISBe it would be the same as P Pumping a common rail as long as you have the pan, oil pickup and rear oil seal cover.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I would think butt welding or soldering the oil pickup, might be a liability because of vibration, sleeving it might improve durability.

Ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for starting a thread, Steed. I'll be happily watching! :)

I thought the ISB blocks weren't provisioned for a rear main seal cover and/or the earlier 4BT crank didn't fit in the ISB block?

·
Vendor
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for starting a thread, Steed. I'll be happily watching! :)

I thought the ISB blocks weren't provisioned for a rear main seal cover and/or the earlier 4BT crank didn't fit in the ISB block?
Nope they fit perfectly, you don't have to machine anything. As long as you use 5.9 and 6.7 Common rail parts.

·
Registered
11,727 Posts
That's sort of strange. I've seen custom made ISBe's with the front gear train and P pump, but those required a custom machined crank. Does that block have provision for the front cam retainer? Also, are there holes on the back for the stock Cummins transmission adapter plates? Just didn't think the ISBe rear gear train interchanged with the ISB common rails. If it's that easy, you should have gone for a 4.5. A B4.5 crank has the same stroke as a QSB4.5.

·
Vendor
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's sort of strange. I've seen custom made ISBe's with the front gear train and P pump, but those required a custom machined crank. Does that block have provision for the front cam retainer? Also, are there holes on the back for the stock Cummins transmission adapter plates? Just didn't think the ISBe rear gear train interchanged with the ISB common rails. If it's that easy, you should have gone for a 4.5. A B4.5 crank has the same stroke as a QSB4.5.
If your looking at the older 4BT4.5 engines, there might be some differences in the front and back of the block. But in regards to the ISBe3.9 block, the 5.9 Common rail front gear case and oil seal line up without an issue. If you wanted to P-pump one of these all you would need is the custom common rail gear case or drill and tap the front of the block for the older gear case.

I can still go with the 4.5 crank, but I don't see how the extra 300cc's of displacement would really make the difference. Although it would be pretty sweet to have a 4.2, four cylinder common rail. The extra displacement would probably increase the vibrations to.

·
Registered
11,727 Posts
If you wanted the 4.5 you'd need a different block. The deck on those is taller since all the increase is in stroke. The B4.5 and QSB4.5-30 8 valve crank is identical to a B3.9 except for stroke. The QSB4.5 common rails are the same style block as the ISBe3.9 like you have. You have opened up a whole new can of worms. A P pump 16 valve can be created with the same custom parts as a P pump common rail. If you plan to stay common rail, what were the reasons for converting to front gear train? The rear trains are quieter and all the newer engines use it.

·
Vendor
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you wanted the 4.5 you'd need a different block. The deck on those is taller since all the increase is in stroke. The B4.5 and QSB4.5-30 8 valve crank is identical to a B3.9 except for stroke. The QSB4.5 common rails are the same style block as the ISBe3.9 like you have. You have opened up a whole new can of worms. A P pump 16 valve can be created with the same custom parts as a P pump common rail. If you plan to stay common rail, what were the reasons for converting to front gear train? The rear trains are quieter and all the newer engines use it.
Wiseco sells a custom 5.9 piston that allows the use of the 6.7. If I was going to use the 4.5 crank, I would use these pistons.

·
Registered
11,727 Posts
One small detail you'll have to work out is the crankcase vent. The ISBe vent is in the rear gear train. You'll have to add one somewhere. Thought you might be leaning toward adding a P pump to the animal. That front housing runs about $1000, but also gives you the front accessory drive too. Of course you need custom injection lines and probably delivery tubes. In the neighborhood of $2000 to P pump one not counting the pump. That adapter is a true work of art. Would definitely add some bling.

Attachments

·
Vendor
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ill take a picture when I get back home. The crank case vent comes out of the back side of the valve cover. I am trying to brainstorm some ideas for a active crankcase ventilation system

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ill take a picture when I get back home. The crank case vent comes out of the back side of the valve cover. I am trying to brainstorm some ideas for a active crankcase ventilation system
valve cover mod?

·
Vendor
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its not a mod, the valve cover has a tube that goes down into the rear gear case.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts