Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 Bronco and want to make the 4BT swap but I'm torn with what trans to use. I went next door to the Ford dealer (I work for Toyota) and one of the techs showed me a ZF trans from a powerstroke he had just pulled and the thing was huge, too much I'm thinking (size/weight) for the small early Bronco (just over 4k lbs. I think). I may have been looking at an unpreferred year, this one had a circular hole for the slave cyl.

Basically I am looking to find out what would be good for a 4BT/5 spd. overdrive/Dana 20 combo. I'm not into rock crawling or abusing this rig since it's been in the family since new, just a strong/somewhat light trans. for commuting mostly, but that will handle a mildly pumped 4BT and some light off-road/towing use.

Also I should be looking for a 4BT with a t-19 or whatever ford manual trans., right? :confused:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just thought I would throw this at you, just some thoughts I am no expert...

The adapters for the Dana 20 are expensive (~$450) for most if not all 5-speeds. A good, short, and cheap transfer case to go with a zf would be the ford NP205. It is heavy though.

From my limited experience (YRMV), I have found that ford transfer case inputs have not changed all that much (the Dana 20 is the exception) just the transmission output shaft stick out may vary.

The ford transfer cases (NP205, NP208, BW1345, 1356 etc) are all 31 spline 6 bolt round pattern so swapping them is fairly easy. That being said the smaller zf 5spd (f-150, full size bronco) and a NP205 transfer case may be the shortest and cheapest route. though any of the manual shift, fixed rear output full size bronco BW cases may work as well.

If you stay with ford transmissions the ford adapter will work you just have to have the right bell housing pattern (I think it is the Small block pattern) and figure out what clutch.

Just what I picked up with my drive train research (I was going to use the Bronco Dana 20)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I did notice the price. I have a Ford toploader/adapter in there now and was hoping to offset the cost a bit by selling it off, but if the price got up there enough it's hard to justify keeping the little dana 20, it has it's weak points also. Just like most projects, you either cheap out and replace stuff as it breaks or spend the money, do it right, and not worry about it. I'm all about finding the right combination the first time on this one so I won't be commiting to any parts until I have it all sorted out. I recently spoke to a tech at Ford that thought the toploader I have now would be fine with the 4BT, but I'm not so sure. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
225 Posts
If your going 2wd it will work.Or using a divorce mount t-case (205). It is the big block pattern so the adapter will cost more. This is the setup that I used except mine is 4wd with the 1356 t-case married to it.
Carl

1979 F-250 crew cab 4 x 4
4 bta with modified H1C
Cold air intake
ZF S5-42 5 speed
Borg Warner 1356 x-case
Dana 60 rear
Dana 44 front
3.55 gears
255/85R16 tires (33.5x10.5)
Hydroboost steering and brakes
Custom 40 gal. fuel tank
Much more later

·
Registered
182 Posts
The other thing to think about is engine placement. I have used NV4500 in two early broncos. The starter location turned out great using the Dodge adapter and a NV4500. Let me know if you need any more bronco related help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your going 2wd it will work.Or using a divorce mount t-case (205). It is the big block pattern so the adapter will cost more. This is the setup that I used except mine is 4wd with the 1356 t-case married to it.
Yeah, I got a little antsy when I saw found that on ebay because I was going to be in the sellers area this weekend. Like you said if I stick with the ZF I need the small block pattern 4x4 trans if I want the easiest swap. Plus I can install that in the truck now and get it sorted out behind my 351w till I find my 4BT

The other thing to think about is engine placement. I have used NV4500 in two early broncos. The starter location turned out great using the Dodge adapter and a NV4500. Let me know if you need any more bronco related help!
I considered the NV4500 strongly as well just because I know a lot of early bronco enthusiasts are using this trans. I was sort of leaning towards the ZF just because you don't need to cut out your whole tunnel (according to BCB)

Thanks for the replies!..........I'm bound to bug you more in the future CJ8, it's always nice to bounce questions off someone with experience with the same vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts