Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all,

I have been lurking for a few days here and love all of the info on the forum.
I'm currently in the design stages of a tube frame rig so im trying to work out all of the kinks.

I've looked everywhere and i cannot find dimensions for the zf s650 transmission. The weight is all i have. Does anybody know length, width, height, and shifter location measurements?

Thanks,
Taylor

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
Posting #26 "ZF Manual Transmission Specification Links" in the FAQ thread:
http://4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32&page=2 has an attachment pdf file: ZF FORD s6-650datasheet.pdf with all of the specifications.

I had a similar pdf file for the 5 speed but can't find it. Anyone on here still have that? Carl Donica - Did I get those from you?

·
Registered
228 Posts
All I know is that its FREAKING HUGE!!!

My boss and I put one in his Ford about 5 months ago, krazy big!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Wasnt me Bob, if I had it I would have forgotten to post it. I think Average250 or mooktank?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
'Preciate it

Thanks a bunch, that is exactly what i was looking for. I went to that thread earlier, but i guess i missed the .pdf link.

Thanks,
Taylor

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Wasn't me.

If Bob's dimensions aren't enough let me know anything else you need. I have a couple of the 7.3 S6-650's.

They're big. They won't fit where an NV4500 or S5-42 will.

No joke, just the gears inside weigh more than a complete NV4500.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is 4 1/2 inches shorter than the E4OD that i have in the bronc now, so it is not unmanageable i don't think.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not driven a truck with a NV4500 or a ZF 5 speed, esp. not a diesel. Does the larger gear spacing in the five speeds become an issue with driveability? I've read that it can be annoying, but is the better gear spacing and torque rating worth the size and weight?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
=
No joke, just the gears inside weigh more than a complete NV4500.
Are you sure? I think i found that it only weighs about 35 pounds more than the nv4500? Then again that could be true since it is an aluminum case?
I'm just a young whelp, so correct me if i'm wrong.

I taped off my drivetrain parts on the kitchen floor to better visualize it. The length fits very nicely in my planned wheelbase.

Next the scale model :idea:

Taylor

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
What transmission would be in a 2005 f250 with gas engine and 6 speeds?
My dad has one, the whole truck, and one of the gear shifts is really far apart, second to third I am thinking, shift at 3,000 and it's back down to 2,000 and no torque. When towing you have to really wind it out for that one shift, otherwise it won't pull it, and you have to start over.
Whatever that transmission is, I think it would be terrible for a diesel swap...
just my thoughts,
Grigg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
most likely the ZF s6 650

The first gear (granny) is pretty low compared to second. The way my dad's 2001? v8 f250 is geared (4.10's), he usually starts off in third unless on a hill.
I 've only driven it once and didn' leave second gear. So I can't be sure wich gear-jump you are reffering to, but it seems that the ZF 6 speed has better gear spacing than the nv 4500. Or at least on paper.

Anybody else have any input?

Taylor

·
Registered
145 Posts
IMO-your better off with the ZFS-542. It will be plenty strong enough, it fits a world better, and is a little shorter than the ZF6. (Longer driveshafts are better.)

I had the E4OD give out in my 1992 F-350 4x4 regular cab. I was planning to use a ZF6, but the ZF6 is really too huge to fit without a lot of mods. After alot of measuring and figuring, I chose the ZF5.

Though it would be awesome, it would take too much effort just for that extra gear.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, just not as easily as the ZF5.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After alot of measuring and figuring, I chose the ZF5.
How do you like the ZF 5? Are the shifts clean and nicely spaced?

Im thinking size may not be as much of an issue for me as i don't plan on shoe-horning the transmission into and existing setup, but rather building a custom vehicle around the drivetrain. But if the ZF 5 is a better candidate, im all ears.

All the information and informative people on the forum are great. You guys rock.

thanks,
Taylor

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well the sky is the limit when your going custom!

Personally, the shifts are just a little too far apart for hauling heavy loads, but remember you have a Bronco, so your not really going to do major towing. The ZF 5 is readily available, and way cheaper than the ZF 6. (By close to $1000.00)

Don't let any of those New Venture transmission enthusiasts tell you that the ZF is a inferior transmission.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Personally, the shifts are just a little too far apart for hauling heavy loads, but remember you have a Bronco, so your not really going to do major towing. The ZF 5 is readily available, and way cheaper than the ZF 6. (By close to $1000.00)

Don't let any of those New Venture transmission enthusiasts tell you that the ZF is a inferior transmission.
Ill have to look into the zf 5 a little more then. I'm not putting it in the bronco, im designing a COMPLETELY custom rig that I will (at some point, funding allowing) build from scratch.

thanks for all of your input guys,
Taylor

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have not driven a truck with a NV4500 or a ZF 5 speed, esp. not a diesel. Does the larger gear spacing in the five speeds become an issue with driveability? I've read that it can be annoying, but is the better gear spacing and torque rating worth the size and weight?

Keep in mind that the ZF S5-42 is available in both close and wide ratio.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I taped off my drivetrain parts on the kitchen floor to better visualize it.Taylor
LOL

I could see my wife's face when I read this... :eek:

:D

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I think F350John has the 460 ZF 5 speed. This is a wide ratio tranny with similiar ratios to the NV4500.

The close ratio diesel version has virtually the same ratios as the 6 speed minus granny.

The 5 speeds shift very nice. As was said, if you have a Ford the NV4500 doesn't make much sense when the ZF holds up great, doesn't lose 5th gear and bolts into a Ford much nicer, especially considering a 205 bolts to it.

The S6-650 bare case weighs exactly 66 pounds (just weighed it).

·
Registered
292 Posts

This is a very true statement. the ZF is a very good tranny.

the NV4500 has its draw backs, i like the nv4500 for the dodge parts that are available like the 1-3/8 input upgrade or performance clutch options.

if you go with a ZF5spd id think the diesel variation would be a better ratio split it has a 4. something :1 1st gear vs the gas version and a 5.37:1 1st gear

but then again it all depends ont eh t-case you want to run too

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
big block gas/diesel ZF's won't bolt up to the "ford" adapter, you need the destroked adapter. I don't think this was mentioned in this thread... was it?

I read somewhere along the lines that the ZF 6 speed was lighter than an NV500. If i get a chance i'll dig up the link...

You will find quite a few ZF6's on car-part.com i looked and found a bunch with damaged cases, from holes to split cases, there seemed to be a lot of destroyed one on there, much more than NV4500's. I think it'd be just fine behind a 4bt though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts