Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a good one for ya, I installed a zf 5 speed in my dads work truck (gruman I think) and I would make it out of the driveway and start rowing some gears and boom.... no clutch. come back, and you cant bleed it. Put in another one.... made it out of the driveway, and boom...... no clutch. Well now Im totally puzzled and getting pissed since its about the 10th time iv had the tranny in/out during this whole ordeal, and dont know what to do. well I get to looking at the slave cyl to see if im over extending it and pooping (yes poop :rasta: ) out the seal... well I find that they are both broke around the hole where the input shaft goes through on the back... Well i tried it again, changed out the master cyl, and so far so good.... but I have a BAD feeling about this and expect it to break again. Anybody have any Ideas... or ever had this problem. All I did was take out the t19, left the intire clutch acc in place, and stuck in the ZF. Anybody???:confused:

BTW I will never use a internal slave again....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, this morning dad is back at the shop and the pedal is stiff and he cant shift gears. I think that there is somthing wrong with the clutch, and it gets in a bind and and wont release causing the pressure to go sky high and pop the slave. Just to make sure..... I used the clutch, pressure plate, and all the stock stuff that was bolted up to his t19 and just bolted up the zf.. from everything I read there were the same thing. Im going to pull it out one more time and change the clutch... im going to buy one for a 93 ford 250..... is this right? Please, please let this be right..... Im about to go postal :nuke:

Thanks for any help guys...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The internal slaves are great if you buy decent ones. If the ones you're getting are plastic they are junk. The all aluminum ones are quality and rarely have any issues.

If it's a defective part I would put in a labor claim with the parts house you're buying these from. Yarding a transmission out to change a defective part is a huge PITA and they should compensate you at a fair rate.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The internal slaves are great if you buy decent ones. If the ones you're getting are plastic they are junk. The all aluminum ones are quality and rarely have any issues.

If it's a defective part I would put in a labor claim with the parts house you're buying these from. Yarding a transmission out to change a defective part is a huge PITA and they should compensate you at a fair rate.

Well problem solved.... come to find out it was the clutch. Even though it was working fine befor the swap, it had two springs that had come loose, and when ever they got just right it would bind the clutch and not let it disingauge causing the slave to hydrolock and blow its guts out.... dam im glad thats over...

Hopfully my problem will help someone else some day..... :beer:

·
3,907 Posts
It's helped me. I'll make sure to check the clutch before installing the tranny, when I get to that point.
Amen, and thank you Toolmanoffroad for posting that (I know better than to not check everything, but when I get goin' sometimes I need a 'reason' to use that knowledge :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well problem solved.... come to find out it was the clutch. Even though it was working fine befor the swap, it had two springs that had come loose, and when ever they got just right it would bind the clutch and not let it disingauge causing the slave to hydrolock and blow its guts out.... dam im glad thats over...

Hopfully my problem will help someone else some day..... :beer:
I had the same thing happen with my zf 542, popped a spring in the clutch which blew the seal in the internal slave cylinder, and snapped the rod on the master when I went to push in the clutch.
When I pulled the tranny to survey the damage, found the new (two week old) plastic slave cylinder had melted/welded itself to the input shaft. Took a 3 jaw puller to get it off.
I replaced the plastic slave with the aluminum version (found on the 1tons) and have not had any problems since.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Alright so I just had the same problem with the Internal slave cylinder puking its guts out. This is the first time that I have mated my 4bt to my ZF 5 speed so I dont know what parts were used before hand. The engine has the stock flywheel. I don't understand why it blew like it did so I am asking for an opinion.
I filled and bench bled the master with the line attached, next I hooked the line to the slave and opened the bleeder screw. After a fair amount of fluid came out of the screw I topped off the master and went ahead and tightened the screw. I pushed the pedal to see if the system was working and fluid just spewed out what looks like the front of it.
Does that procedure for bleeding sound right? All of the parts I got were from advance auto parts. That is including the master cylinder, line, slave cylinder(it is the aluminum one part # 37897), clutch, and pressure plate. Please help, Bleeding that clutch was the last thing I had to do to take it for its first test drive. Now I have to take the engine out once again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts