Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to order a new concentric slave cylinder for my ZF5, and since I need a master too, I'd like to get them as an assembly if possible. Does anyone know if one of those assemblies is sold?

Thanks, Alex

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I like to use rock auto for such things. Great prices and usually have many levels of parts right up to OEM. Personally I'm going to get a metal slave if at all possible anymore. I had both the plastic and metal out of an early and late production ZF S5-42 and they spec'd out identical externally. I don't know of nor have I found any internal differences but I'd just buy the matching year model master for the slave of your choice. The trucks were common enough that these parts are readily available through all the typical parts houses as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been searching Rock Auto, but the only assembly kit they have doesn't specify whether it's for the 4 or 5 speed tranny. I could buy them separately, but they list 1.03" and 1.125" bores, and the old unit I'm replacing has a bore of 1.1875". I'm measuring the inside of the tube that the tranny input shaft goes through. What am I not seeing?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
The early ZFs used an aluminum slave and the later used a plastic version. What did your ZF come mated with engine wise? Below I've listed the kit number for the later version's Dorman brand kit. The earlier version (Sachs) doesn't have a kit you have to buy them piecemeal. I've listed the slave for it below as well.
The tag on the side of the trans will tell what year it was made so you can determine what one you need. Is it possible you have a Diesel or 460 BB version and it has a larger input shaft and takes a different slave?

I just went out and measured mine for you
Input shaft 1.03"
shaft pilot .66"
Front bore on slave is 1.25"
The slave tapers getting wider as it comes forward.

Hope that helps

Buyer's Guide: DORMAN CC649014 Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder Assembly
FORD
BRONCO
(1993 - 1996)
FORD
F-150
(1993 - 1996)
FORD
F-250
(1993 - 1997)
FORD
F-350
(1993 - 1997)
Please refer to catalog for application details.

(1988 - 1992)
FORD
BRONCO
(1988 - 1992)
FORD
BRONCO II
(1988 - 1990)
FORD
E-150
(1988 - 1990)
FORD
E-250
(1988 - 1990)
FORD
E-350
(1988 - 1990)
FORD
EXPLORER
(1991 - 1992)
FORD
F-150
(1988 - 1992)
FORD
F-250
(1988 - 1992)
FORD
F-350
(1988 - 1992)
FORD
RANGER
(1988 - 1992)
FORD
THUNDERBIRD
(1989 - 1995)
MAZDA
NAVAJO
MERCURY
COUGAR
(1989 - 1990)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks. Mine had (when I bought it) an aluminum one in it. It's the small block version for sure, believe it had a 351w in front of it but it might have been a 300. It's got the 1 1/16 input shaft. I didn't know how tight the fit had to be, and couldn't find one with a bore to match the one I pulled out (1 3/16") online. Sounds like I made the right call, just ordered both parts separately. I appreciate the detailed response.

Alex

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
What did you order? Be sure to post up some pics when you get them in. Also if you open some of the links in the Rockauto site for the slaves, there are some TSBs that give hints on bleeding the system.
Also post up what clutch you are using and how you like all of it. Do you have a build thread-what is your project?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered Dorman #CS37897 slave cyl, and Dorman #CM39894 master, both from Rock Auto. They were the stock replacements for a 1990 F250 with 351w and 5 speed on SummitRacing, which has earned alot of trust from me over the years as far as parts fitting. I'll just have to work at bleeding them once plumbed in, I hear it's a bitch. I hope they fit, believe they will. I'll try to remember to update this thread with the results.

My project is converting my daily driver 79 F150 4x4, already extensively modded (this is engine number 5, tranny 4, with me) to a 1986, 105hp VE 4bt and small block ZF5. I just pulled out the mildly built 408 Cleveland and Np435. I loved that setup, and the diesel may take some getting used to as far as vibration, noise, and power, but buying gas had taken over my life, and I didn't want to give up my old beast. I'm hoping to use a stock Ford 11" clutch disk and short style pressure plate, the same one I used with my 435, but will have to let you know how it works.

I'm also hoping to do a build thread. I've taken plenty of pics, just have to take the time to get it going. This being my daily driver, and me just starting out in life, I don't have near the time and money I'd like to be able to put into this. I've almost finished prepping the new engine, fitting up the accessories and such, and am buying the last few parts tmw. I hope to be back on the road in 10-14 more days.

Alex

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Would you mind getting me a couple measurements?
1. Clutch pedal length from swing point to pedal pad top
2. Clutch pedal length from swing point to master cylinder actuator mount
3. How much travel does it have at the clutch pedal arm where the rod attaches

I'm going to install the same components in a Jeep and would really like to retain the pedal feel the '80-'90s trucks had. So I need to try to duplicate the geometry.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure I can. I rigged this thing up myself though, and my clutch pedal sits about 2.5" forward of the brake and gas. I don't have any idea if that's how it's supposed to be, but I'll measure it for you on Sunday when I get home.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Twisted: 1. 12.5" straight line, but the pedal arm is not straight.
2. Not sure yet, MC should be arriving tomorrow.
3. 1 7/8" straight line, between pedal against the firewall and without any pressure / fully towards driver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Twisted: 1. 12.5" straight line, but the pedal arm is not straight.
2. Not sure yet, MC should be arriving tomorrow.
3. 1 7/8" straight line, between pedal against the firewall and without any pressure / fully towards driver.
I am having a similar issue with the same transmission, same year, everything. I am now on my second slave cylinder. Where you successful using the dorman part? Has it held up?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts