Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around on here trying to find a pic of a ZF5 mated to a Ford NP205 but haven't found one yet. I gathered up a bunch of stuff -a few years ago- to do that combo with my 4BT (including a 1978 F250 rolling chassis for the axles and the X-fer case) but it's been long enough that I can't even remember which year of ZF5 that I bought or any of the mating details. Seems like I remember something about notching the ZF for the x-fer shifter or something. It'd be nice to see pics of one already set up. Looking at doing this to a '93 Wrangler and a Pro-Comp 5" coil spring conversion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, after going and looking the tranny over real good, it appears that I have an M5R2 sitting where I THOUGHT I put a ZF5 so disregard the pics. Now I have to see what my x-fer case options are for that thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to know for sure that the M5R2 can hold up to some wheeling before I do all the work to stuff it in the YJ. I have both the Chevy and Ford adapters, flywheels, etc. so I have options but I'm disappointed that the tranny wasn't a ZF5.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would make the choice between ZF/M5R2 based on the gear ratios I wanted not by a perceived weakness in the M5R2. Both transmissions will take more than the SBF clutch can hold.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also have a zf and a np205. Does anyone worry about hanging that heavy of a transfer case on the aluminum tailshaft housing of the zf? I only ask because i have seen a couple zfs in the junkyard with broken tailshaft housings.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Does anyone worry about hanging that heavy of a transfer case on the aluminum tailshaft housing of the zf?
You betcha! It is common knowledge that the ZF doesn't like a lot of weight hanging off it. There are even several companies that offer parts just for this. Or you can make your own. Some people even build a cradle that supports the trans/TC and then mount the bushing to that.

http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=737&zenid=0e51788c0e05b72d6c5b3b8b0cd4abec

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That kit looks close to what I had engineered in my mind. My 205 is still attached to the tranny and motor in that F250 frame so it still has the factory mount on it. The bushing idea was my mental addition I had added. Another idea was brackets that bolt to the 6 bolt flange and bushings where they'd mount to a custom crossmember along with supporting the 205.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
There are numerous ways people have gone about this. Use the two bolt holes on the driver's side like some factory apps (personally I want mine closer to the centerline though), make a custom PTO cover out of HD plate and weld a mount to that, a crescent shape mount with corresponding holes to mount to the rear round aluminum plate, etc.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the factory side mount on my 205 so is that not enough support to use when I install my zf5??? I will order that tmrcustoms support if I really need it, I Don't want to crack the zf5 tail!!!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I have personally ran across 3 ZFs with broken taihousings and they had the stock aluminum transfercases! I haven't weighed one of those, but i do know the NP205 is one HEAVY chunk of iron! i don't know the stories behind the broken ZFs, but I do know that I've not seen any broken cast iron trannies/TC adapters. I personally put one through hell in my early Bronco with a warmed up 351W back in my more rambunctious days. I don't intend to treat my Jeep that way, but I sure don't like the thought of a major component being that marginal if I ever have to get ugly with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts